Firefox not using default File Manager
Problem: When using Firefox or Chrome and File Open or File “Save As” the desktop (KDE) default file manager (Dolphin) is not used
Operating System: Kubuntu 18.04
Browsers: Firefox 94.0, Chrome 96.0.4664.45
- In Firefox go to about:config and set “widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal” to true. This provides support for the XDG Desktop interface. This is disabled in Firefox by default
- Install xdg-desktop-portal-kde Qt backend and xdg-desktop-portal frontend portal as follows
sudo apt install xdg-desktop-portal-kde sudo apt install xdg-desktop-portal
- xdg-desktop-portal-kde provides back end implementation for xdg-desktop-portal using Qt
- xdg-desktop-portal is the front end xdg-desktop-portal for desktop frameworks, e.g. Plasma KDE
- For GTK/GNOME desktops install xdg-desktop-portal-gtk instead. Be careful to ensure both are not installed at the same time.
- Tip – to permanently remember the Dolphin window layout right-click on the title bar of the window, select More Actions – Special Window Settings, click on Size and Position and set to “Apply Initially” or Remember. This way the window will open where you want it!