Computer Active Useful Notes
32799 Padlet – share content
32643 Captura – records Windows screen(s)
32442 Glasswire firewall – indentifies programs that secretly use your Internet
31235 Android Magnifying Glass (IOS 31236)
30849 Appbuster Bulk Windows uninstall programs
30789 Search Companies House
29712 CloneApp Backup Windows App and System Settings default features
29899 MiTec Task Manager Delux – better Windows Task Manager
27353 Lasso to prioritise RAM for programs that need it
28329 NoBot AV scanner – use with AdwCleaner
28321 ControlMyMonitor colour tweaker, from NirSoft
28351 BleachBit remove hidden junk like ccleaner without paywall limitations
27011 Mpow’s Air Vent Mount <£10
26883 InSpectre Meltdown + Spectre detector and perf indicator – also disables patch
26868 Whocrashed 6.01 BSOD Analyser
26836 Cloudberry – remote access via web browser
25761 Google Backup&Sync 15GB free storage
26760 Drive Formatter – Wipe data
26400 DMEX Explorer tool ctrl-F1 menu to split windows
26359 W10 WinAero Tweaks
26358 Bootracer see which programs slow PC start up
25237 Windows Repair Pro
25199 Colorize Photos
24973 MusicBee + MediaMonkey.com
24368 Wise Program Uninstaller
23038 AllDup free duplicate file finder
Tips & Recommendations
Weed out broken system files
Run Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Once finished, check with System File Checker
www.Doodle.com – organise a get-together, send email link
WeTransfer instead of email attachment store file on their server and send recipient message + file link
MediaFire as WeTransfer but videos
Netgear Arlo Pro 2 camera inc 7 day online storage
Money Manager EX – replacement for Microsoft Money (support ended 2009)
Adobe Photoshop Express free Windows 10 basic photo editing app
clonapp.de Back up installed software to move to another PC/OS
Moneypool – Paypal Group to collect money
Logitech MK540 coffee prof kb + mouse – wireless only
Fast DNS 188.8.131.52/184.108.40.206 1dot1dot1dot.cloudflare.dns.com
www.easyscreenocr.com Extract text from screenshot
netsh wlan show profile “NETWORK” key+clear – Show WiFi password
netsh wlan show profile – Show WiFi networks
Notepad log book add .LOG to print time stamp on open
NordVPN nordvpn.com best paid for VPN £9.10/mon
TunnelBear alternative free/paid VPN 1.5GB/mon with TWitter a/c
www.aeroadmin.com free Unlimited Teamviewer alternative
Remove USB command line utility
- Brother MFC-J5330DW £120
- Epson WF-3720DWF £80
- Epson WF-2860DWF £70
- HP Officejet 8715 £150 – bit noisy, but fast
- Canon MG5750 £55 – no ADF
- Canon TS6150 £100 – no ADF
Here’s to remove the Google Search widget from your Lollipop v5.1.1 Home screen.
- Press and hold on any free space on the Home screen to bring up the desktop customiser
- Tap the Settings cog in the bottom right corner to bring up Preferences
- Within “Home Screen Settings” turn off “Show search bar”
The following SP Flash method to upgrade your phone is based on a Windows host system. To upgrade from Kitkat you have to use the flash method. This method will also get a bricked phone working again. The steps below include resetting the IMEI number. The IMEI number cab be found inside the case cover or on the box it came in or in Settings|About Phone|Status|IMEI Information.
To simplify finding the required programs and ROMs download and extract the files below to a single JIAYUS3 folder with relevantly named sub-folders for each component.
- Boot Kitkat in TWRP Recovery (recoveryK.img) and select Backup to make a complete backup. Save this backup by copying it from TWRP\Backups to your working PC folder. Do this by using your phone usb cable or FTP WiFi app. If for any reason the upgrade fails this backup will allow you to recover back to where you started.
- Download MTK Preloader and ADB Windows drivers and USBdeview 32bit or USBdeview 64 bit from www.nirsoft.net
- Download latest SP Flash, e.g. SP_Flash_Tool v5.1436
- Download latest Lollipop SP Flash version from Needrom , e.g. Xtreme ROM TF Most new ROMS include TWRP mitigating the need to flash this separately and Google App Store.
- On your PC run the appropriate USBdeview to remove legacy MTK drivers. Select any MTK USB drivers. Disconnect and uninstall them.
- Install MTK Preloader driver
- Power off phone.
- Connect USB cable
- Windows plug&play detects the device and installs drivers. It may report Device Driver software was not successfully installed. Carry onto next step anyway.
- Run Device manager (devmgmt.msc); look for “MT65xx Preloader”; Right click and choose Update Software Driver… and browse to the appropriate OS and select the 32bit or 64bit version and click OK.
- In the next window select “MediaTek Preloader USB VCOM Port” and click next to install. Don’t worry if you see “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”. Carry on and click finish to complete install.
- After installing the pre-loader device should disappear from Device Manager. Don’t worry is should pop up again when connecting the powered off phone when flashing in later. It is a sort of hidden device which is only active during Pre-load.
- Disconnect the USB cable
- Flash ROM
- Run SP Flash, click “Scatter Loading” and browse to Lollipop ROM Scatter file.
- After loading check there is a Recovery image. If not within table click on Recovery row/Location column and point to TWRP Lollipop (recoveryL.img)
- From drop-down box select “Firmware Upgrade” and click Download.
- Immediately connect the other end of USB cable to the powered off phone.
- The download should now start and flash process begin. If not disconnect and reconnect the phone again. Do this a couple of times. Otherwise disconnect phone, remove and reinsert battery and connect again.
- Once the big green tick appears the flash process is complete. Disconnect the phone and power up to boot Lollipop
- Boot Lollipop
- If necessary change language to English UK or language of choice.
- Enable Developer Mode in Settings by tapping About phone/Build number four times. In Developer options enable USB debugging.
- Connect to local WiFi network
- Reset IMEI Number
- In the phone dialler enter *#*#3646633#*#* to enable MTK Engineering mode or run MTK Engineering app.
- Swipe left to select Connectivity menu
- In Connectivity click the CDS information option
- Tap Radio information and tap Phone 1
- Enter the command AT +EGMR=1,7,”IMEI-NUMBER” Subsitituting your “IMEI-NUMBER” in quotes with your phone’s 15 digit IMEI number. Note in the command a space between AT and +
- Click Send to set IMEI
- For second SIM tap Phone 2 and enter AT +EGMR=1,10,”IMEI-NUMBER”.
Note: on JIAYU S3 one IMEI number is shared between SIMs 1 and 2 and is shown twice on the box and once inside the phone case.
- Click Send to set IMEI 2
- Reboot phone
- Test the phone(s) by dialling and receiving calls.
- Add Google Account
- Select Settings|Accounts and add your Google account by entering your Google email address and password and for two pass authentication enter pin sent by SMS to your phone.
- Once this complete select Google Play Store and download Apps, e.g. GMail, Google Calendar, etc.
- Synchronise Google App in Settings\Accounts\Google click on the Sync icon to synchronise contacts and email folders and calendar.