|Ctrl + A||Select all content.|
|Ctrl + C (or Ctrl + Insert)||Copy selected items to clipboard.|
|Ctrl + X||Cut selected items to clipboard.|
|Ctrl + V (or Shift + Insert)||Paste content from clipboard.|
|Ctrl + Z||Undo an action, including undelete files (limited).|
These notes apply to Kubuntu 18.04 and Thunderbird 60.9.1.
After Google restricted access for LSA’s (Less Secure Apps) it was necessary to change the Gmail account authentication method from “Normal Password” to OAuth2. After this gcontactsync failed – after logging into Google and successfully allowing access to Contacts it was blocked. After extensively trawling the net for a solution one was found. This said the problem was due to Thunderbird being corrupted and the solution offered was a complete rebuild – drastic but it worked!
Try running DISM and SFC commands to repair Windows system files. Once complete reboot and try running the update again.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
The above DISM command typically completes without issues, but if there are problems replacing the damaged files, you will need to provide another image using the Source option to complete the task. You can use an “install.wim” or “install.esd” file from another computer, bootable install media, or Windows 10 iso file. Make sure that the files match the version,
- Run ‘command prompt’ as administrator” and enter following
- net user Administrator /active:yes
- Sign out
- Log in with “Administrator” account. If newly activated wait up until Windows sets up the account
- From Start Menu right-click on Start Menu icon and select ‘Computer Management’
- If “Local users and groups” not listed run steps below to install Local User and Group Management (lusrmgr.exe) Console for Windows 10 Home
- Click on “Local users and groups”
- Click ‘Users’.
Do the following (with Admin account) to associate .wps (Works document) and .xlr (Works spreadsheet) file types to Word and Excel.
- Create Restore point to roll-back in case you make a mistake editing the Registry
- Run Regedit
- Locate HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ .doc
- Right-click .doc key and select Export and save to Desktop file as, e.g. docassoc.reg. The contents should look like the sample below.
- Repeat steps 3-4 for .xls
- Exit regedit
- In file File Explorer Copy &
If audio output device set to Dummy Device reset audio as follows:
pulseaudio --kill; sleep 2s; sudo alsa force-reload ; pulseaudio --start
Restart audio application(s), e.g. Spotify
This works with Ubuntu 18.04 and may work for other versions too
To add the Suspend icon to the KDE Application Menu
- Click the KDE icon (bottom left hand corner) to bring up the Application Menu
- Click “Power/Session” on right-hand list to bring up list of Shutdown Options
- Right-click Suspend and select Add to Favorites
Similarly you can add or remove other shutdown icons.
If when installing an HP 7520 WiFi printer with HP Easy Start you get a warning that the scanner does not support “Bonjour” then you may end up with a working printer but no scanner!
In most cases this happens because you have a dual band router advertising 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the same SSIDs. In short the HP 7420 only works with the 2.4GHz network.
One solution is to disable the 5GHz network or rename it and only connect the Mac and printer to the 2.4GHz SSID network.
Real World Wi-Fi Speeds
|IEEE standard||Wi-Fi Alliance Standard||Theoretical Speed||Real-world Speed|
Wireless Broadband Alliance (WBA) real world trials carried out in the “hostile” environment of the Mettis Aerospace facility in the UK West Midlands.
Use Catfish to find files and file content quickly – note content search only works for text type files. Use Recoll for other file types.
Install using Synaptic Package Manager or from Terminal as follows:
sudo apt install catfish
Run it by selecting it from from Utilities or use the Search function and enter Catfish to locate.
Once running you should see screen below.
To search for content first click the settings cog and check “Search File Contents”.