Using the Avast User Interface (Avast UI) you can disable options such as: insert note into out going mail; audio notices; social networking; pop-ups and others.
Open the Avast UI
Navigate to the Avast icon in the Windows notification area. This is to the right of the Taskbar at the bottom right of the screen. If not visible click on the arrow head to the left of the notification area to reveal hidden icons. Right-click on the Avast icon and select Open Avast UI.
To have a Windows 7 desktop like the one above on your Windows 8/8.1 desktop or laptop follow the steps below:
Install Classic Shell and Windows 7 Desktop data Files
- Download Classic Shell 4.1.0 or later from http://www.classicshell.net/ and install with the default settings.
- Download [filedownload file=”downloads/Classic_Shell.zip” style=”color:#0000EE;”]Classic Shell.zip[/filedownload] This contains Windows 7 desktop background; Start Button images and Classic Shell “Menu Settings.xml” file with the following custom settings:
- Enable Category View for Control Panel
- Disabled all Active Corners
- Replace Start Button using Windows 7 Start button
- Skip Metro desktop on boot or login
- Metro Apps.
Follow the steps below to disable mouse middle or wheel click button:
From Terminal run xinput to discover the mouse device name
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Classic IntelliMouse® id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Belkin Corporation Flip CC id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ LITE-ON Technology USB NetVista Full Width Keyboard.
This cure is applicable to Linux based systems such as Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
Stop those annoying pop-ups intruding into your workspace by simply running Spotify Music player in a second desktop window and leave it maximised as follows:
- Go to System Settings/Workspace Behaviour/Virtual desktops and increase the number of desktops to 2
- Activate second desktop by typing Ctrl-F2
- Launch Spotify and select the music you like to play
- Switch back to main desktop by typing Ctrl-F1 or select desktop from System Tray icon and continue working!
Check hard disk Integrity
- Launch COMMAND as Administrator (N/A XP). Run check disk with repair option at next boot
If CHKDSK finds errors repeat command to see if the errors have been fixed. If it repeatedly fails at the same sector(s) run CHKDSK C: /R to map out the bad spots. Run CHKDSK C: /F again. If its fails stop here and try to back up the data on the disk by connecting it as a second drive to another computer.